Tuesday 9 October 2012

#Google #Navigator in #Egypt, #Cairo (#cairotraffic)

Hello,
I have an android phone for more than a year now and I just learned that the navigation feature just been enabled, so I gave it a try specially that I am not from cairo and I had to go between two places outside of Nasr City, Heliopolis and New Cairo (The places I used to work in).

First when I was entering Cairo from Cairo-Suez Highway I stopped before the Ring Road and started the google navigation application and chose my destination. One option was to take Salah Salem from its beginning to its end and the other was to take the Ring Road and take Salah Salem at some point later, I liked the Idea and took the ring road.

Everything was fine, I fueled the car and took the ring road and the navigator kept me telling me instructions to stay on the ring road (which is nice by the way)

until it told me to take a hard right, I used my signals and took the right lane to find out that the designated right turn is illegal. DUM DUM DUM DUUUUM

I parked after the turn and waited for the phone to reroute and it did showing my a much longer in-cairo road so I did not follow the instructions and took the first ramp down, took the first U-Turn, the first ramp up and the first ramp down to Salah Salem

The navigator rerouted again and took me safely to my destination, That  wasn't so bad.

Now to my second destination, it was around 11:30 am by the way.
after setting google's navigator I found in the route this turn
although I did go straight but I still can not figure out how did they find that this turn is logical, and stunningly I found some real drivers doing it. :)

After a while I found that I should enter el Sheikh Rehan street but it was blocked with large rocks that I only saw on the Internet

The last is somewhere I have never been to but this is a really big plus for the navigator that when I saw whatever I saw I just said Allah, WOW, where am I?, how can I come here again? but I got confused after a while.
First I did not like the turn and I found out that there is another road which is wide and straight enough to be appealing, but I got lost at the round about, and I did not know which exit to take and the original turn I was supposed to take, and the navigator was telling me to follow the route and was not rerouting so I parked, restarted the application and used the appealing road, I reached my destination eventually.

The bottom line, using the navigator is nice, but you should never take the instructions for granted. its sometimes stupid.

If you have a little knowledge of the place you are visiting then the navigator should be your best friend.

PS: I asked a constable about the directions and he told me to go in the absolute opposite direction, I told him: "Are you sure it's this way" and he replied positively

PPS: The images are from google maps website not the phone.

No comments: